Exploring Geography – Elective Unit 5
Patterns and Processes in the Human Environment – Elective Unit 5
This highly illustrated textbook is a comprehensive resource fully covering Elective Unit 5: Patterns and Processes in the Human Environment of the Geography Leaving Certificate syllabus, at Higher and Ordinary levels. It can be used in conjunction with the Exploring Geography Core Book or as a self-contained textbook.
- The KWL (Know, Want to know, Learned) teaching-and-learning strategy and the key geographical terms approach used in the Core Book are continued here. This is further supported with the facility for students to check what they have learned throughout the chapter and chapter summaries to review what they have learned.
- Provides the most up-to-date census data (Census 2016), facts and figures, as well as OS maps and exam questions from recent Leaving Certificate examinations.
- Each chapter contains new case studies, illustrating content taught in the book. These will provide alternatives to students when writing the answers to exam questions.
- The ‘Did you know?’ feature provides students with interesting facts about the topic being studied. It can be utilised by the teacher and student in extension activities for additional research or simply to promote interest in the subject area and the world around them.
- ‘Make the connection’ boxes help students see the bigger picture by relating information to other chapters in the book or in the Core Book, linking it across the syllabus. It encourages them to see the things that they have already learned as pieces of a jigsaw, rather than as topics in isolation.
- Information is presented in multiple ways, e.g. photographs, charts, infographics and timelines. These appeal to different learner preferences and support students with varying educational needs.
- Online resources such as PowerPoint presentations, video suggestions and further activities are provided to support teaching.
- Available as an eBook.
Authors: Catherine Turley & Colette Flanagan