Text & Tests for Transition Year
Exploring Maths through History!
Designed specifically for Transition Year classes, this textbook will give students a fresh and exciting perspective on the development of maths and its place in the world.
Text & Tests for Transition Year is a new and engaging textbook that explores mathematics through history and key concepts. Built around eight modules, it acts as a bridge into Transition Year from the Junior Cycle course, revisiting and consolidating work previously completed (Looking Back <<), while showing how these topics will develop later on (Looking Ahead >>).
- Each module begins with a timeline, mapping the development through history of this branch of mathematics.
- The modules are divided into parts, each of which revises a specific topic. These are written in an accessible, easy-to-understand style.
- Links between mathematical ideas are shown and concepts are connected to real‑world use.
- Worked examples with focused exercises (tagged as Check-up) are key elements of each module, with the level of difficulty of the questions in each Check-up graduated.
- Talking points appear throughout the book to stimulate discussion, suggest other approaches or add clarity.
- Each chapter concludes with a Test that covers all the mathematical topics covered in that module.
The author, Paul Cooke, is a highly regarded and experienced teacher, who has been a key member of the Text & Tests team for many years.